First duck hunt ever proves successful for Oklahoma City pair
Goforth and McPherson get a classic hunting experience at a small farm pond in western Oklahoma
Taking a couple of young men on their first duck hunt does wonders for an old waterfowler's soul.
I had high hopes of introducing Hunter Goforth and Kyle McPherson, both 21 of Oklahoma City, to a classic duck hunting experience when they joined me at a small farm pond in western Oklahoma.
NewsOK Related Articles
Our game plan included decoys, calling, good dog work and successful concealment. We constructed a natural blind out of willows and tumbleweeds.
Shooting time, which starts 30 minutes before sunrise, came with a hush. After an extended period of time without seeing a feather, I wondered how disappointed they would be if we never saw a duck this morning.
Suddenly, we heard the rush of wings as 20 mallards glided over our decoy spread, but the ducks didn't respond to may calling and they disappeared over the horizon. I got pensive glares from my companions like I just missed a field goal in a championship game.
Fortunately, I had a chance to redeem myself as a group of pintails approached. Unlike mallards that respond to a variety of quacks, pintails speak a language of whistles.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12959Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12915Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12323OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10047Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8563Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6689Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6158Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated