First MAPS 3 park design ideas for Oklahoma City to be revealed at public meeting
Oklahoma City and consultants will present three basic design frameworks for the MAPS 3 downtown park at a public meeting Thursday. After evaluating more feedback, one specific design will be presented in December.
Oklahoma City residents will be able to see the first preliminary designs of the MAPS 3 downtown park at a public meeting next week.
Hargreaves Associates consultants and the city will host the second of three public meetings about the park's design Thursday, revealing three potential basic design plans for the park.
If you go
The MAPS 3 downtown park public meeting is set for 6 p.m. Thursday in the fourth floor auditorium of the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library, 300 Park Ave.
The three basic designs were formed based on feedback at the first meeting two months ago, stemming from more than 1,000 surveys of Oklahoma City residents.
The Hargreaves team will take the feedback on the three designs presented Thursday to come up with a more specific plan for the final meeting in December.
“It's still conceptual. It's still early,” said David Todd, the city's MAPS program coordinator. “It's not three finished products.”
Most likely, the plan presented in December will combine elements of more than one plan, said Ben Kuchinsky, an associate at Hargreaves.
“We feel like not any one of these schemes will move forward entirely on its own,” Kuchinsky said. “We'll come back in December ... and kind of have a synthesis of all three schemes into one.”
What city residents have said in surveys so far has had a big impact and will continue to be relied on, he said. For example, designers paid extra attention to bicycle paths for the three designs coming Thursday because of very high interest expressed in them.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located