First MAPS 3 park design ideas for Oklahoma City to be revealed at public meeting
Oklahoma City and consultants will present three basic design frameworks for the MAPS 3 downtown park at a public meeting Thursday. After evaluating more feedback, one specific design will be presented in December.
Oklahoma City residents will be able to see the first preliminary designs of the MAPS 3 downtown park at a public meeting next week.
Hargreaves Associates consultants and the city will host the second of three public meetings about the park's design Thursday, revealing three potential basic design plans for the park.
If you go
The MAPS 3 downtown park public meeting is set for 6 p.m. Thursday in the fourth floor auditorium of the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library, 300 Park Ave.
The three basic designs were formed based on feedback at the first meeting two months ago, stemming from more than 1,000 surveys of Oklahoma City residents.
The Hargreaves team will take the feedback on the three designs presented Thursday to come up with a more specific plan for the final meeting in December.
“It's still conceptual. It's still early,” said David Todd, the city's MAPS program coordinator. “It's not three finished products.”
Most likely, the plan presented in December will combine elements of more than one plan, said Ben Kuchinsky, an associate at Hargreaves.
“We feel like not any one of these schemes will move forward entirely on its own,” Kuchinsky said. “We'll come back in December ... and kind of have a synthesis of all three schemes into one.”
What city residents have said in surveys so far has had a big impact and will continue to be relied on, he said. For example, designers paid extra attention to bicycle paths for the three designs coming Thursday because of very high interest expressed in them.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims