Five-minute guide to high school football: Blanchard, Jones to meet in key 3A contest
Jones is the more battle-tested of the two teams, but Blanchard's defense has been stout.
Southmoore has been much more tested to this point, and it shows in this one as the SaberCats get another critical win in district play to move closer to hosting a first-round playoff game.
Class 6A No. 1 Tulsa Union (4-2) at No. 7 Sand Springs (6-0)
Plot: Even at 4-2, Union is Union. The Redskins have won four consecutive 6A titles and are in position to have a chance at another this season. Union isn't invincible, though, having lost to Owasso (38-35 at home, Sept. 21) and at Euless (Texas) Trinity. Sand Springs might be the biggest surprise in the state to this point after last year's 3-7 season.
Starring: The Redskins' big-time recruits get plenty of attention and deservedly so, but quarterback Hunter Atyia is a huge reason for Union's success. Atyia has thrown for more than 1,200 yards, with nine touchdowns and three interceptions. For Sand Springs, linebacker Alec Roberts has been one of the top defenders in the class so far, with 77 tackles.
The pick: Tulsa Union 48, Sand Springs 20
Like so many other teams before, the Sandites come in thinking they can hang with the top teams in Class 6A. But like other teams not named Jenks or Union in the last 16 years, eventually the reality of those two schools' dominance gets brought to them. That happens Friday for Sand Springs.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister