Share “Fla. man choked to death in roach-eating...”

Fla. man choked to death in roach-eating contest

Associated Press Modified: November 26, 2012 at 3:31 pm •  Published: November 26, 2012
Advertisement

Crawford described Archbold as a "smart, good guy" who was "really good friends to people. She said a photo of Archbold and news clippings of the accident still hang in the main office.

"It's just a tragedy."

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in the Oct. 6 contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami.

Messages left with the store's owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.

Archbold became ill shortly after winning the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

About 30 people ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.