Florida Gulf Coast's 22 3s set women's record
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (AP) — Florida Gulf Coast sank 22 shots from 3-point range Saturday to break its own single-game Division I women's record in a 97-60 victory over East Tennessee State.
Betsy Adams, who finished with 25 points in just 14 minutes, made 7 in 12 attempts, but she got plenty of help from her teammates as the Eagles (12-5, 5-0 Atlantic Sun Conference) took 43 long-range attempts, making 51.2 percent.
"We shot the ball really well today," coach Karl Smesko said. "It was nice to see a lot of players get hot in the same game, because it really worked to our advantage.
"I was not aware that we were approaching the record, but we shoot a lot of threes in every game, so if we hit those shots at a high percentage, we'll probably be around that record number."
Florida Gulf Coast, which had been averaging 8 3-pointers in 27.8 attempts per game this season, made 21 3-pointers in 51 attempts last season in a 106-27 victory over Webber International on Nov. 28, 2011. That tied the record set by New Mexico State in 49 attempts during a 94-62 win over Louisiana-Lafayette on Feb. 23, 2002.
The men's Division I record is 28 — in 74 attempts — set by Troy on Dec. 10, 1994.
A couple of freshmen hit the shots that tied and broke the record for the Eagles, who have won their last 23 conference games. Stephanie Haas' 3-pointer tied the mark with 6:44 left in the game, and Amanda Moore's 3 with 1:48 left was the Eagles' 22nd.
Seven different players made at least one 3-pointer for Florida Gulf Coast, which sank 10 in the first half and 12 in the second.
East Tennessee State (3-8, 1-3) was 2 of 3 behind the arc.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates