Flu myths: The flu shot won’t make you sick, and whiskey won’t cure you
The headline reads “Influenza Rages in Oklahoma City; Whisky is Needed.”
It was December 1918, and the Oklahoma City Police Department was getting inundated with calls, people requesting whiskey to, allegedly, alleviate their flu-like symptoms.
Between 20 million and 50 million people died during the 1918 flu pandemic, also known as the Spanish flu, including 675,000 deaths in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11235Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 11138Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5575Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5081Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4332OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4278Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4021How to help tornado victims