Flyers name Giroux 19th captain in team history
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Philadelphia Flyers have named Claude Giroux the 19th captain in team history.
General manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement Tuesday night. The Flyers say Kimmo Timonen will serve as associate captain, and Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere will serve as alternate captains.
Giroux takes over for defenseman Chris Pronger. Pronger has not played for the Flyers since Nov. 19, 2011 and still suffers from lingering effects of multiple concussions.
Giroux enters his fifth full season with the Flyers. He had 28 goals and 93 points last season, the most points by a Flyer since Eric Lindros had 93 in 1998-99. He was selected by the Flyers in the first round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Giroux has 78 goals and 165 assists for 243 points in In 285 career games.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister