Fognini and Robredo into Monte Carlo 2nd round

Published on NewsOK Modified: April 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm •  Published: April 14, 2014
Advertisement
;

MONACO (AP) — Tenth-seeded Fabio Fognini of Italy and 11th-seeded Tommy Robredo of Spain reached the second round of the Monte Carlo Masters in contrasting fashion on Monday.

Fognini was two points away from defeat before rallying to beat Joao Sousa 5-7, 7-5, 6-4, while Robredo was more solid against qualifier David Goffin, beating the Belgian player 6-4, 6-1.

Sousa led 5-2 and 30-0 on Fognini's serve, but the Portuguese player lost his composure and then started complaining to the chair umpire at the end of the second set and midway through the third.

"I'm not happy today. I was I think a bit lucky," Fognini said. "It was a really difficult match."

The 10th-seeded Fognini, who lost to title-holder Novak Djokovic in last year's semifinals, was the highest seeded player in action Monday in the clay-court tournament.

Fognini failed to serve out the first set at 5-4 and then his game fell apart.

"I was completely without energy, without power in my legs," he said. "I have no idea what happened."

After Fognini had served out the second set, the crowd jeered Sousa — who had received a warning during the first set. At 3-2 down in the third, Sousa continued to grumble, saying "it's a joke, it's a joke."

Continue reading this story on the...