WASHINGTON (AP) — For all its horror, the beheading of an American journalist in Syria appears unlikely to change lawmakers' minds about military intervention against Islamic State extremists. It's equally unclear whether the Obama administration will be asking them to back a new U.S. approach.
President Barack Obama said the United States wouldn't scale back its military posture in Iraq in response to James Foley's killing. But he offered no specifics Wednesday about what new steps he might take to protect additional captives and other Americans, and ward off what he described as the al-Qaida offshoot's genocidal ambitions.
The initial response from members of Congress was mixed, reflecting the divide of the American people. While all decried Foley's death, hawks, particularly Republicans, continued to assail the Obama administration's limited airstrikes in Iraq and its refusal to target Islamic State bases in neighboring Syria. The president's supporters voiced support for the current, cautious intervention in Iraq. No tea partiers or dovish Democrats who have cautioned against military action publicly changed position.
"The president's rhetoric was excellent, but he didn't outline steps to stop the slaughter," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., one of Obama's harshest foreign policy critics, said in a telephone interview. "The strategy should be to launch all-out air attacks in Iraq and Syria to defeat ISIL," he said, using an alternative acronym for the Sunni militants.
A U.S. official said Thursday the Islamic State militants had demanded $132.5 million, or 100 million euros, in ransom for Foley's release.
A second U.S. official said the demands were sent in emails to Foley's family in New Hampshire. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ransom demands by name.
Philip Balboni, CEO of the Boston-based GlobalPost, told reporters Wednesday the company had spent millions on efforts to bring Foley home, including hiring an international security firm. Foley was doing freelance reporting for GlobalPost.
When asked at a news conference about a ransom purportedly demanded by the kidnappers, Balboni said the price tag involved both financial and political demands, and that it was "substantial" and always remained the same.
He declined to elaborate.
Balboni did say that he understood there were "good reasons" why the U.S. government does not acquiesce to kidnappers' ransom demands, but said the policy should be revisited. He also said the family had received a "direct contact" from Foley passed through a recently released European hostage. But he declined to say what the message said.
The militants first demanded the money late last year, Balboni said.
Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday that the Justice Department has opened a criminal investigation into the matter.
"Those who would perpetrate such acts need to understand something," Holder said. "We have long memories and our reach is very wide and we will not forget what happened. People will be held accountable one way or another."
Continue reading this story on the...