Former Bishop McGuinness standout Daniel Orton struggles, is ejected in professional debut
Daniel Orton labors through disappointing debut in Orlando
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Orton, though, said he has no regrets.
"I thought about it up until the exact day that I had to leave," Orton said. "But after that I couldn't worry about it anymore. What's done is done."
"It's a lifelong dream fulfilled. I'm glad to be here finally. Being in the NBA is just a relief. You put in a lot of hard work your whole life pretty much. And it's just a dream come true."
As for slipping to 29th, coming within two selections of failing to secure a guaranteed NBA contract, Orton said he has used his draft position as motivation. And looking back on his debut, Orton knows he tried too hard to silence his critics.
"Coach (Stan Van) Gundy came in and said, 'You're trying to work too hard. You're trying to rush and trying to prove yourself when you really don't have to.' And that kind of just made me feel relieved.
"A lot of people say I need time to develop. And I'm not going to lie about that, I do need time to develop. But I don't think it's going to take as much time as people think it will. I hope not to tell you the truth. I know I've put in a lot of hard work and a lot of time. So hopefully I can get quicker (production) than most people think."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M