Former Colorado coach defends Embree
BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — Colorado's fiery former coach didn't take long to raise his voice as he came to the defense of Jon Embree.
Unsolicited, Bill McCartney stood in front of a group of boosters on Tuesday, imploring — no, demanding — that fans give the second-year CU coach some breathing room.
Just 16 games into his regime and Embree is already feeling plenty of heat. Falling to rival Colorado State was bad enough, but then the beleaguered Buffaloes were beaten by FCS-level Sacramento State and trounced 69-14 at Fresno State.
McCartney, revered around these parts for leading Colorado to a national title in 1990, understands the frustration. He even acknowledged the Buffs may be "in over our heads right now." But McCartney believes Embree can turn around the program if given time.
Follow AP Sports Writer Pat Graham on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pgraham34
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11884OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10282Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7018Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5955Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5764Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4633Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4517Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers