Ex-NBA player Shawne Williams faces drug charges
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Authorities say Shawne Williams, a first-round NBA draft pick in 2006, has been arrested on drug charges after an officer patrolling a parking lot at a suburban Memphis mall smelled marijuana coming from a car.
The Commercial Appeal reports (http://bit.ly/WcBDMc) that the officer asked Williams to get out of a Porsche on Thursday night. Police reported finding a partially smoked marijuana cigar, another blunt and a bottle of codeine cough syrup not prescribed to Williams.
Online jail records show the 26-year-old Williams was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture, deliver or sell. The newspaper reports that he was not charged with cocaine possession, as was originally reported due to a clerical error in a Shelby County Jail database.
Online records indicate he was released on bond Friday. He has a Monday court appearance.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister