A former Oklahoma City police sergeant accused of molesting his three adopted sons pleaded guilty Tuesday to multiple sexual abuse charges and was sentenced to two years in the county jail.
Maurice A. Martinez, 46, of Oklahoma City, avoided a trial and potentially a lengthy prison term by reaching a deal with prosecutors that includes two years of house arrest when he is released from jail and 25 years' probation, court records show.
With credit for time served, Martinez likely will be out in a year. Prosecutors said the plea bargain came after it became clear witnesses were reluctant to testify against him.
Martinez pleaded guilty to 12 felonies, including nine counts of sexual abuse of a child, and one count each of attempting to prevent a witness from testifying and possession of child pornography and child abuse, records show.
He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor counts of harboring a runaway and conspiracy to obstruct an officer.
Martinez also waived his right to appeal or seek commutation, parole or pardon, and agreed not to seek employment as a law enforcement officer or care for children, prosecutors said.
He also will have to register as a sex offender.
Neither Martinez nor his attorney, David Slane, would comment outside of court.
The ex-officer and foster parent took care of dozens of boys over the years. He was charged in April 2011 with sexual offenses against four teenage boys who were under his care. He resigned from the police department in July 2011.
Martinez had been out on bail before admitting his guilt to Oklahoma County District Judge Donald L. Deason on Tuesday. He was led away in handcuffs after the proceeding.
Prosecutors said they agreed to the deal because they felt Martinez had influenced, even intimidated, his accusers to the point where they became uncooperative.
“They had made it very clear they were uncomfortable testifying and were even recanting some of their prior statements,” Oklahoma County Assistant District Attorney Gayland Gieger said Tuesday. “The bottom line is, Mr. Martinez or maybe even some of the other foster kids in the home had pressured or influenced the victims to say nothing had happened to them.”
About the case
A judge threw out much of the sexual abuse case against Martinez in August 2011, dismissing 23 of the 35 felony counts filed by prosecutors.
The judge dismissed most of the sexual abuse counts because the initial accuser testified he made up the allegations.
At the time, Martinez predicted he would be acquitted.
A police detective previously testified Martinez had threatened his accusers, witnesses, people who reported the accusations to police, state Department of Human Services personnel and herself.
Martinez had been free on $80,000 bail but was arrested a second time in April 2011 after authorities found his accuser — one of his adopted sons — in Utah.
Police accused Martinez of buying a bus ticket for the boy, who ran away from DHS custody after Martinez's first arrest.
Police said Martinez arranged for the boy to stay with someone Martinez knew to avoid testifying.