Prosecutors said they agreed to the deal because they felt Martinez had influenced, even intimidated, his accusers to the point where they became uncooperative.
“They had made it very clear they were uncomfortable testifying and were even recanting some of their prior statements,” Oklahoma County Assistant District Attorney Gayland Gieger said Tuesday. “The bottom line is, Mr. Martinez or maybe even some of the other foster kids in the home had pressured or influenced the victims to say nothing had happened to them.”
About the case
A judge threw out much of the sexual abuse case against Martinez in August 2011, dismissing 23 of the 35 felony counts filed by prosecutors.
The judge dismissed most of the sexual abuse counts because the initial accuser testified he made up the allegations.
At the time, Martinez predicted he would be acquitted.
A police detective previously testified Martinez had threatened his accusers, witnesses, people who reported the accusations to police, state Department of Human Services personnel and herself.
Martinez had been free on $80,000 bail but was arrested a second time in April 2011 after authorities found his accuser — one of his adopted sons — in Utah.
Police accused Martinez of buying a bus ticket for the boy, who ran away from DHS custody after Martinez's first arrest.
Police said Martinez arranged for the boy to stay with someone Martinez knew to avoid testifying.