Former Oklahoma Gov. Henry Bellmon dies
Henry Bellmon, the Oklahoma farmer who became the state's first Republican governor and turned his party into a political contender, has died. He was 88.
Videoview all videos
Sep 29Former Oklahoma Governor Henry Bellmon passes away at the...
Mar 1Oklahoman columnist Bryan Painter catch up with former...
Nov 2Take a journey to Billings, Oklahoma, with former...
Photoview all 44 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
HENRY BELLMON TIMELINE
Sept. 3, 1921: Born on a farm near Tonkawa
1942: Graduates from Oklahoma State University
1942-46: Serves in U.S. Marine Corps
1946-48: Serves in state House of Representatives
1960: Becomes state Republican Party chairman
1962: Wins election as Oklahoma's first Republican governor
1963-67: Serves as Interstate Oil Compact Commission chairman
Joins executive committee of the National Governors Conference
1968: Wins election to U.S. Senate
1974: Wins second term in U.S. Senate
1980: Chooses not to seek third term in the U.S. Senate
1983: Named director of the state Department of Human Services by Democratic Gov. George Nigh
1986: Wins new term as Oklahoma's governor; retires from politics in 1991.
1997: Henry and Shirley Bellmon celebrate 50 years of marriage.
July 24, 2000: Shirley Bellmon passes away
April 6, 2002: Henry Bellmon weds longtime family friend Eloise Bollenbach
Sources: Biographical Directory of the U.S. Senate; Oklahoman Archive
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes