Share “Former Oklahoma State Sen. Gene Stipe dies...”

Former Oklahoma State Sen. Gene Stipe dies at 85

By JOHN GREINER and RANDY ELLIS Modified: July 21, 2012 at 8:59 pm •  Published: July 21, 2012

Former state Sen. Gene Stipe, one of the most powerful and colorful politicians in Oklahoma history died at 6:15 p.m. Saturday after a lengthy illness. He was 85.

Stipe's state legislative career, the longest in Oklahoma history, was tarnished in the end when he pleaded guilty in 2003 to federal campaign violations. He was later indicted again in 2007, but was found incompetent for legal proceedings.

Three previous times he had been indicted by the federal government, but he had managed to defeat the government each of those times.

Services, under the direction of Brumley-Mills Funeral Home, will be 2 p.m. Tuesday at First Baptist Church of McAlester, 100 W Washington.

When he heard about the longtime legislator's death Saturday, former Gov. George Nigh, a McAlester native, said this about Stipe:

“In 1948 a coal miner's son, while living in the Norman fire station and attending law school at the University of Oklahoma, was elected as the youngest member of the Oklahoma House of Representatives. He went on to become the longest serving state legislator in U.S. history. He truly believed in public service. He always encouraged me to also be involved. Thanks, Gene.”

Stipe was the youngest Oklahoman to be elected to the state House of Representatives when he was first joined the Legislature in 1948. The record was later broken.

He was elected to the Senate in 1956.

By the time Stipe left his Senate office in 2003, the Democrat from McAlester had served 53 years in the state Legislature — a record that still stands.

Senior federal Judge Lee R. West of the Western District of Oklahoma issued a statement through Stipe's family and friends.

He said, “I am deeply saddened to hear of Gene Stipe's passing. He was an Oklahoma original. In his more than half century of public service, he helpedensure that each generation of Oklahomans was healthier, better educated, and more secure than the generation that preceded it. It is unlikely that anyone will ever exceed his contributions.”

Former Senate President Pro Tempore Robert V. Cullison said, “Gene was my mentor, my friend and someone I deeply admired and respected. I always valued his wisdom and his deep love for the state Senate. I will miss him.”

Revered by some and politically feared by others, Stipe was known as much for his use of political power to obtain state jobs for constituents as he was for the guile he displayed in Oklahoma courtrooms and on the floor of the Oklahoma Senate.

Constituents would line up at Stipe's McAlester law office on Saturdays to seek help, Nigh recalled. Stipe would stay until the last person went home.

University of Oklahoma president and former Oklahoma Gov. David Boren also remembered Stipe for his concerns about the downtrodden.

“Gene Stipe never forgot his own struggles with poverty in his younger years, and he constantly sought to help those in need in our society,” Boren said. “While we sometimes differed on political issues, I never doubted his heart-felt concern for others.”

Peaceable Mountain

Stipe was preceded in death by his wife, Agnes, in 2002.

He later married Mary Bea Thetford in Arkansas in December 2003.

Stipe was born in Blanco south of McAlester on Oct. 21, 1926.

Considered one of the brightest members of the Senate and one of Oklahoma's best trial lawyers, Stipe grew up on Peaceable Mountain near McAlester in an impoverished coal-mining family during the Great Depression.

Continue reading this story on the... has disabled the comments for this article.

Stipe remembered his heroes in book

BY John Greiner For The Oklahoman

In the later years of his lengthy career as a state senator, Gene Stipe got a former reporter to help him write a book about the people Stipe considered to be some of the great heroes of Oklahoma.

When a legislative session would end each week, Stipe often headed out for parts sometimes unknown by reporters, but he could be reached, be it Dallas, New York or McAlester, his hometown.

The writer, the late Ralph Marsh, spent three years following Stipe around or trying to catch up to him to interview Stipe as he was driving to some other place in southeastern Oklahoma for a meeting, trial or some other event.

The result was “A Gathering of Heroes,” written by Marsh in collaboration with Stipe.

Stipe grew up during the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Stipe's heroes in this book were at one time the well known names who headed important state agencies.

People who've been around Oklahoma will recall these heroes of Stipe's. Those heroes listed in that book are:

Lloyd E. Rader, who ran Oklahoma's welfare department and was a master at getting more federal dollars for programs for helping people.

Hayden Donahue, who headed Oklahoma's Mental Health Department for years.

Wade Watts, a civil rights leader in Oklahoma.

Luther Bohanon, a federal judge who presided over the desegregation of Oklahoma City public schools and the lawsuit designed to improve conditions in Oklahoma's prison system.

E.T. Dunlap, longtime chancellor of the regents for higher education.

Stipe was a formidable foe in courtroom

BY John Greiner For The Oklahoman

As a lawyer, Gene Stipe always was a formidable foe in a courtroom where he represented people from all walks of life including a Marine charged with killing civilians in Vietnam.

Stipe traveled thousands of miles to Da Nang, Vietnam, to represent Marine Lance Cpl. Randall D. Herrod, who was from Calvin in southeastern Oklahoma.

The case was detailed in “A Gathering of Heroes,” a book written by author Ralph Marsh in collaboration with Stipe.

Stipe had others helping him in this case.

Some were lawyers.

One was Hayden H. Donahue, who for years had headed Oklahoma's Mental Health Department.

Donahue had been in World War II. Later, he had done a study on battle fatigue, according to the book written by Marsh in collaboration with Stipe.

Donahue testified about battle fatigue and its effects on soldiers.

Another who came to try to help Herrod was a Marine lieutenant who later would become known by an entire nation.

Lt. Oliver North had been saved by Herrod during a firefight.

North later would be part of President Ronald Reagan's administration.

The book said Stipe spoke more than two hours in closing arguments before the Court Martial board.

The board found Herrod not guilty on all counts


  1. 1
    Blumenthal: John Boehner is 'alcoholic,' 'lazy,' 'banal' | Washington Examiner
  2. 2
    Emails: Hillary kept close ties to Clinton Foundation while at State | Washington Examiner
  3. 3
    Radioactive chemical spill occurred last fall at University of Tulsa, officials announce
  4. 4 reveals top Labor Day, Fall destinations for 2015
  5. 5
    Rep. Jim Bridenstine recognized for leadership on space issues
+ show more


× Trending politics Article