Former OU standout Kevin Bookout works out for NFL's New York Jets
After missing the cut to make the London Olympics, former basketball standout shows his football skills.
Kevin Bookout missed the cut to be a member of the U.S. Olympic track team at the upcoming London Games, and appears to have moved on to another sport — one he hasn't played since he was a ninth-grader at Stroud High School.
Bookout, who starred at Oklahoma in both track and basketball, worked out for the NFL's New York Jets' front-office personnel this week in Florham Park, N.J., according to a source familiar with the situation.
Jets coach Rex Ryan, who played at Southwestern Oklahoma State and was an OU assistant coach, was not there for the workout, the source said.
Bookout, 29, was 10th in the men's shot put at the Olympic Trials last Sunday, but needed to finish in the top three to qualify for the Olympics.
Bookout (6-foot-8, 320 pounds) was The Oklahoman's All-State Basketball Player of the Year in 2002.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes