Oklahoma women's basketball: Former Sapulpa star Alyssia Brewer helps UCLA stun No. 11-ranked Oklahoma
Brewer collects 15 points and a game-high 16 rebounds as 4,184 fans at Lloyd Noble Center watch Bruins dominate in the paint.
NORMAN — Alyssia Brewer was expected to provide an inside presence for UCLA. She proved that to be correct Wednesday night, helping the Bruins upset No. 11-ranked Oklahoma 86-80 before 4,184 fans at Lloyd Noble Center.
The two-time Oklahoman Super 5 selection — and 2007-08 Oklahoman Player of the Year — from Sapulpa had 15 points and a game-high 16 rebounds to counter a solid 3-point attack by the Sooners' Aaryn Ellenberg.
Brewer, who played high school basketball at Sapulpa, spent three seasons at Tennessee under legendary coach Pat Summitt. She transferred to UCLA for her senior season and has helped the unranked Bruins to a 2-0 start.
Every bit of Brewer's points, boards and physicality were needed. While UCLA punished the Sooners inside, Ellenburg was hot from 3-point territory, hitting 7 of 9 attempts. Six of Ellenburg's treys were in the first half, but the Bruins still managed to lead 37-36 at halftime.
“Had Aaryn not shot (six) threes, we would have been down by 40,” OU senior Whitney Hand said. “Then she cooled off, and it took her transition away, so we obviously couldn't score.”
Ellenburg sinking just one 3-pointer in the second half, coupled with the Sooners losing on offensive rebounds, ultimately led to OU's demise in its home opener.
Brewer and Atonye Nyingifa each had seven rebounds on the Sooners' end. For the game, OU was out-rebounded 56-34.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36498Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32022Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 18998Oklahoma tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7837Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6469OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3675College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3601Student shot dead during botched home invasion