France urges Mali to step up talks with rebels
PARIS (AP) — France's president called Thursday for stepped-up talks between Mali's government and any leaders from its breakaway north "who reject terrorism," even as African nations geared up for a possible military operation against Islamic extremists there.
President Francois Hollande's comments suggested a growing openness to dialogue with the extremists, but he remained committed to supporting the military planning effort.
Northern Mali fell to Islamic extremists in April, after coup leaders toppled the government in Bamako, Mali's capital. Fearing that northern Mali could become the latest hotbed of terrorism, France has been a driving force in international efforts to bolster Mali's army to drive the Islamists from power.
Hollande spoke with interim Mali President Dioncounda Traore by phone on Thursday, partly to detail European efforts to help strengthen Mali's army.
In recent days, representatives from the most moderate of three al-Qaida-linked groups that control northern Mali have been meeting with Burkina Faso's president, appointed as a mediator.
"France reiterates its wish that political dialogue will intensify between Malian authorities and representatives of northern populations who reject terrorism," Hollande's office said in a statement. "The acceleration of this dialogue must accompany the progress in African military-planning efforts."
Earlier this week, the African Union approved a plan that calls for 3,300 African troops to be deployed in order to win back Mali's north. European countries including France and Germany have expressed a willingness to provide military trainers and logistics support, but have stopped short of committing combat troops.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 42155Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15090Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9670Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8506Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8490Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7696Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7550Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena