Frazier & Kubiak go from teammates to opponents
HOUSTON (AP) — Corey Frazier and Klein Kubiak are teammates at Rice and friends off the field.
But on Sunday they'll be pulled in different directions. Their fathers — Minnesota Vikings coach Leslie Frazier and Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak — will be on opposite sidelines.
"The first thing he said to me when I saw him on Sunday was that me and him were enemies from here on out this week," Corey said. "That just started it off, and there's been a lot of little jawing back and forth, a lot of little remarks."
Corey and Klein both plan to be on the sidelines with their fathers for Sunday's game, where the Texans need a win to secure a first-round bye and home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs. The Vikings are trying to keep their postseason hopes alive with Adrian Peterson entering the game just 294 yards shy of breaking the NFL single-season rushing record — a fact that Corey has mentioned often.
"He's got a pretty big card in (Peterson), so he's been building that one up," Klein said, laughing. "We've gone back and forth."
Corey got to Rice first, and Klein didn't realize his father also coached in the NFL until Gary mentioned it to him. They've since become close after bonding over the shared experiences of growing up with fathers who were NFL coaches.
"We just had so much common ground," Corey said. "Our parents both have similar qualities, similar rules as to how they want us to live our lives, and since we are under so much scrutiny that made me and Klein pretty close."
The pair find it odd that they ended up at the same school because their fathers, who both played in the NFL before moving to coaching, have known each other for decades.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15772Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12083Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10914OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9909Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9575Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8649Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8648Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated