Frazier & Kubiak go from teammates to opponents
"That is pretty interesting," Gary said. "I've got a lot of respect for Leslie and the job he does. His son does a (heck) of a job at Rice, too. It's been pretty cool ... you kind of take that for granted."
Leslie said their sons playing together has given himself and Gary a unique opportunity to interact away from the high-pressure world of NFL coaching.
"We get a chance to sit in the stands and mingle at the spring game and so on," Leslie said. "It's a good relationship and I'm just happy for what he's done."
Klein, a junior receiver, and Corey, a senior safety redshirting after an injury, will return to being friends after Sunday's game as Rice prepares for its first bowl appearance since 2008 when it faces Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec. 29.
The Owls lost five of their first six games this season before bouncing back to win five of their last six to become bowl eligible.
"We haven't had anybody on our team go to a bowl game," Klein said. "So it's new to all of us, but it's also really, really exciting."
Corey received a redshirt after injuring his knee in the first game this season. But he's looking forward to taking part in the bowl experience with his team.
"I'm definitely proud and glad that I'm getting to enjoy the ride with them," Corey said. "I'll be on the sideline cheering them on when they play Air Force."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 46110Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14982Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9556Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8109Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7765Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7102Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7082Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena