OKC Thunder: Free throws help Lakers hold off Thunder in Game 3
Los Angeles converted an astounding 41 of 42 free throws compared to OKC hitting 26 of 28.
LOS ANGELES — Heading into Game 3 on Friday night, the Los Angeles Lakers said nothing major was needed to overcome a heartbreaking loss two nights earlier against the Thunder that put them down 2-0 in the series.
Videoview all videos
May 19The Oklahoma City Thunder were handed their first loss of...
Photoview all 36 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Lakers wound up simply returning the heartache to OKC with a comeback victory of their own.
In Game 2, the Lakers led by seven with 2:08 remaining, but was outscored 9-0 the rest of the way in a 77-75 loss at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
In Game 3, the Thunder led by five with 2:54 remaining, but was outscored 12-4 the rest of the way in a 99-96 loss at Staples Center.
Game 4 will be Saturday at 9:40 p.m., also at Staples Center.
In handing OKC its first loss of the playoffs, all the Lakers had to do was toe the free-throw line and make open 15-footers.
Los Angeles converted an astounding 41 of 42 free throws (. 976) compared to the Thunder hitting 26 of 28 (. 929).
"You're not going to get a better look than a free throw against these guys," Lakers coach Mike Brown said.
The biggest free throws were two that never came for the Thunder when forward Kevin Durant appeared to be fouled while trying to follow up on an offensive rebound with 12.9 seconds left and the Thunder trailing 95-94.
OKC was called for 30 fouls and the Lakers for 22.
Half of Kobe Bryant's game-high 36 points came at the line, where he went 18 for 18, including six free throws in the final 1:09.
Durant led the Thunder with 31 points while Russell Westbrook and James Harden scored 21 each.
OKC took a 68-61 lead with 3:24 left in the third quarter on a running 14-foot bank shot from Durant while going out of bounds along the left baseline.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister