MIDWEST CITY — Friends of a mother who died with her two sons as a result of an apartment fire Sunday have focused their efforts on helping a third child who wasn't home when the fire started.
Stevie Warner, 26, of Midwest City, said she went to Choctaw High School with Lindsey Terry, 26, and the two became close in their junior year. She said they stayed in touch after graduation. “She was a really good mom,” Warner said. “Her kids are her world.” Warner said Terry became pregnant with her first child, Destiny, at the end of their senior year. She said she would baby-sit the girl while Terry worked. Thinking about how Destiny, 7, would have to grow up without her mother, Warner became a little choked up, saying “She's just a really sweet little girl.” Fire call Just before noon Sunday, Terry's mother, who lives downstairs from her, called 911 to report the fire at the Raintree Meadows Apartments, 449 Harr Drive. Her mother and a neighbor were overcome by smoke and heat when they tried to go inside the apartment, Midwest City fire Maj. David Richardson said. Midwest City firefighters discovered Terry and her two sons unresponsive inside the unit. No 911 calls were made by Terry, Richardson said. The boys, identified as John Brown-Jones II, 2, and Dylan Terry, 4, were pronounced dead. Lindsey Terry was taken to a hospital Sunday and revived. She died Monday. Family friend Stephanie Conley said Terry's daughter went camping with her father on Friday and hadn't returned home yet when the fire started. “When I found out what was going on, I was in tears. It broke my heart,” Conley said. “Destiny has to go through this. She's so young and so sweet.” Conley said Destiny has been told her mother and brothers went to visit her grandfather in heaven. “It's hard when you're 7 years old. How much comprehension do you have? As far as what I understand, she's doing all right,” she said. Making donations Conley said Destiny lost everything in the fire, including her clothes and favorite teddy bear she got for Christmas.
Continue reading this story on the...
NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.