Futures mixed with export, wholesale data on deck
NEW YORK (AP) — Stock futures are mixed before the government releases a pair of reports that could provide some direction for investors trying to gauge the pace of the economic rebound.
Dow Jones industrial futures are down 6 points to 13,892. The broader S&P futures slipped a tenth of a point to 1,505.20. Nasdaq futures are up 3.75 points to 2,745.75.
The Commerce Department reports Friday on the December trade deficit. Economists expect that the deficit narrowed, which would signal slightly stronger growth than was originally thought.
A decline in exports, notably in November, is one of the reasons that the economy shrank at an annual rate of 0.1 percent in the fourth quarter.
Another reason was the reluctance of business owners to build stockpiles. Commerce will reveal how much wholesalers adjusted those stockpiles in December.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort