Futures mixed with hours left before fiscal cliff
NEW YORK (AP) — Stock futures are mixed on the year's final day of trading, with lawmakers trying to push through a last-minute deal on the budget.
Dow Jones industrial futures are up 3 points to 12,780. The broader S&P futures have added 2.1 points to 1,386.10. Nasdaq futures are down 3 points to 2,583.
There is a shortened day for bond trading Monday, but it's a full day for the stock markets. Volume is very low, however.
There are now just hours to go before the midnight deadline for the nation's so-called "fiscal cliff," if no deal is reached.
More than $500 billion in 2013 tax increases would begin to take effect and $109 billion would be slashed from defense and domestic programs.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says negotiations are ongoing.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit