Futures rise ahead of housing data, strong earns
NEW YORK (AP) — Futures are rising on what is expected to be more upbeat data on housing from the government as well as strong earnings from U.S. companies.
Dow Jones industrial futures are up 32 points to 13,813. The broader S&P futures have added 4 points to 1,495.80. Nasdaq futures are up 10.5 points to 2,729.
Homebuilders are heading into 2013 with a head of steam. The Commerce Department is expected to report that new home sales rose to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 383,000 in December. Sales rose in November to 383,000, the fastest pace in more than 2 ½ years.
Shares of homebuilders are rising in advance of the report.
And household products makers Friday are beating Wall Street expectations for the quarter. Both Procter & Gamble and Kimberly-Clark posted healthy earnings.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister