* After viewing radar of tropical storm Lee bearing down on Louisiana, ABC announcer Brent Musburger noted LSU had a quarterback of the same name. Jarrett Lee, replacing suspended quarterback Jordan Jefferson, turned in a solid effort to lead No. 4 LSU to a 40-27 victory over No. 3 Oregon at Cowboys Stadium.
* Auburn's 42-38 comeback victory over Utah State easily was the best early game. ESPN2 announcer Beth Mowins, working with former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, chastised some of the Auburn fans who left when the Tigers trailed 38-28 with 2 minutes left. “Can we get a stopwatch on any of the fans that left to see if they are running a 4.3 40 to get back in here?”
* Former Colorado coach Dan Hawkins, proving he is a better announcer than coach, had an entertaining ESPNU debut in calling the Louisiana Monroe-Florida State game with Pam Ward. Noting two Seminoles players held towels to shield the play calls, Hawkins remarked, “I think most coaches could work in CIA undercover ops. They're paranoid.”
* Former Florida coach Urban Meyer also made his ESPN debut, bringing some of his coaching insight to a three-man booth with Dave Pasch and Chris Spielman.
* Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban entertained as the guest picker on ESPN's “College GameDay” at Cowboys Stadium. Sitting next to the NBA championship trophy, Cuban picked Oregon to beat LSU. Lee Corso went with LSU. Kirk Herbstreit didn't make a pick because he broadcast the game for ABC, although he had picked Oregon to win the national title.