Game of life: Jack Moncrief chaired Big Eight Baseball Tournament

Moncrief recently died at age of 91, leaving behind a sports legacy across Oklahoma City.
by Scott Munn Published: December 24, 2012

A farewell to people with Oklahoma ties who enjoyed the game day experience:

Jack Moncrief was a life sportsman, excelling in high school athletics in Dallas, and then at Southern Methodist University. He participated in football, basketball and track for the Mustangs before joining the Army to fight for his country during World War II. Moncrief was first stationed in war-weathered London, where he was assigned to guard maps for the D-Day invasion. The Texan was then selected to become a physical training instructor, charged with helping wounded soldiers rehabilitate injuries. That was the seed that started a career in physical education, which included a move to Oklahoma City in 1951.

Moncrief was named director of physical education for all city branches of the YMCA. He coordinated the Y's national volleyball tournament in OKC, and he helped develop the citywide church basketball league. Moncrief was one of 40 people selected by Dwight Eisenhower to serve on the president's physical fitness committee.

Moncrief would become a charter member of the All Sports Association and a proponent for the construction of All Sports Stadium, which would lead to professional baseball's return to Oklahoma City. He also favored a new building — the Myriad — which still houses professional hockey today. Moncrief also spent 12 years as chairman of the Big Eight Baseball Tournament, held each year at All Sports Stadium.

He died recently at age 91.

*Layton Runkle had a memorable high school athletic career in the 1950s before becoming an ear, nose and throat doctor in Norman. Runkle starred at Casady School in football, baseball and track. Some of his exploits included throwing a one walk, no-hitter against Catholic (now Bishop McGuinness); striking out 10 in a victory against Midwest City; running for three touchdowns and 243 yards in a 33-0 football win over Houston St. John; and combining with Ken Binder, Roy Williams, and John Bozalis to win the 880 relay at the Bison Relays. Runkle, who was 13-0 over his junior and senior seasons as a pitcher, was on the 1957 All-City Baseball Team; He was offered a tryout with a New York Yankees farm team but chose schooling at Princeton, where he graduated cum laude in biochemistry. He also graduated from the University of Oklahoma Medical School. Dr. Runkle died recently at age 73.

*The former Elaine Buck was a barrel racer while growing up in the 1930s in Shawnee. Buck also attended an all-girls school in Dallas, where she participated in equestrian jumping. She married Philip Honnold and became a mother of three. Mrs. Honnold played golf as an adult. The Oklahoma City resident died at age 95.

*Former Oklahoma City 89ers pitcher Frank Pastore died from injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident. He was 55. Pastore's time in Oklahoma City was brief, finishing 1-3 with an 8.46 earned run average and 15 strikeouts. The stint marked the end of Pastore's career. The right-hander had previously pitched more than 1,000 innings in the majors, most with the Cincinnati Reds; he won a career-best 13 games in 1980. He once held the speed record (9 minutes, 31 seconds) for eating the 72-ounce sirloin steak and sides at the famous Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, Texas. Pastore was a host for a Christian radio station in his native California at the time of the crash. He was in a coma for a month before succumbing to injuries.

Trending Now


  1. 1
    News 9: Greer County Authorities Looking For Escaped Inmate
  2. 2
    Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert signs his rookie contract with the Cleveland Browns
  3. 3
    Kevin Durant asks for your basketball videos in Summer is Serious 2
  4. 4
    Big 12 basketball: Time, TV listing announced for Sooners' December game against Washington
  5. 5
    Lawsuit: 'Duck Dynasty' stole 'camo' idea
+ show more