NORMAN -- A garage fire today in west Norman destroyed a motorcycle and a Mercedes-Benz, but a schnauzer named Spanky was rescued from the attached home with no apparent injuries.
The Norman Fire Department dispatched three fire engines to 500 Edwards Drive at 2:10 p.m. after a neighbor called city dispatchers and the homeowner. "I went to wash my motorcycle and I got a call from my neighbor who's a cop that my garage blew up," said Ken McMillen, the house's only resident, as he held Spanky's leash. "I've got good neighbors." The fire charred all of the garage's interior and consumed its contents, but the residential portion appeared from the front to have little to no major damage. Norman Fire Capt. Todd Sexton said the fire's cause was not immediately known. Sixteen firefighters responded to the fire and "rapidly extinguished it," he said.