Gardening: Don't forget to water this winter
Ray Ridlen reminds gardeners about the importance of watering plants even during winter.
Watering recently planted trees and shrubs is a different story. Their roots do not go out as far yet. In this case you will want to water the root ball zone and just beyond. The aim is to water where the roots are.
Keep in mind that even when we get rain, trees and shrubs planted close to the foundation and under eaves may still need watering. Located in these areas, they receive little precipitation and they lose more moisture than other plants because of their proximity to the structure and reflected heat from the walls.
Ray Ridlen is an agriculture/horticulture educator for the Oklahoma County Extension Service. His column addresses frequently asked horticulture questions. For more information, call 713-1125.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad