Gardening: Horticultural gifts make fine presents for gardeners and nature lovers
Rodd Moesel advises readers about gifts for gardeners and nature lovers.
If you haven't already picked out one or more poinsettias to decorate your home or office you are missing out one of the best ways to say “Merry Christmas.” Poinsettias are now available in hundreds of varieties in different tones of red, white, orange, pink and lots of marbled colors. They are easy to care for and the colorful bracts will often stay in color for months. Just put them in good light and water when dry. Amaryllis bulbs produce beautiful trumpets of red, white or pink flowers at this time of year if you want something different than poinsettias. If you haven't picked out a Christmas tree there is still time to get it set up and to enjoy it through the New Year and into early next year. If you have limited space, Norfolk Island pines make great small living Christmas trees for rooms or apartments and make a nice houseplant year round. Have a great holiday season and a very Merry Christmas.
Rodd Moesel serves on the Oklahoma Horticulture Industrial Council and the Oklahoma State University agriculture dean's advisory committee. He is a former president of the Oklahoma Greenhouse Growers. Email garden and landscape questions to email@example.com.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims