NORMAN — Businesses in the 400 block of Gray Street and nearby homes on Tonhawa Avenue were evacuated for about 45 minutes Thursday morning after a construction worker operating a backhoe ruptured a gas line in an alley.
Fire crews were sent to the scene about 11 a.m. after callers reported natural gas spewing in the alley, police Capt. Tom Easley said.
Assistant Fire Chief Jim Bailey said Oklahoma Natural Gas crews capped the line about 11:45 a.m., and those evacuated were allowed to return to their businesses and homes.
Some workers at Main Street establishments, about two blocks from the ruptured gas line, said they left the area because the odor of gas was so strong.
The Main Street evacuations were voluntary, fire officials said. No one was endangered or injured, and the gas line was being repaired at noon.
If you owe under $729k you may qualify for 3.05% APR Govt Refi Plans.