Generating plant will be named after Edmond's mayor
An Oklahoma Municipal Power Authority natural gas combustion turbine facility to be built near Ponca City will be named for Edmond Mayor Charles Lamb, a longtime member of the authority.
EDMOND — A new Oklahoma Municipal Power Authority generating plant to be built near Ponca City will be named after Edmond's mayor.
Mayor Charles D. Lamb has been on the municipal power board since 1993. He has been the chairman since 2001, the longest-tenured elected official to serve as chairman.
Preliminary plans are under way at the site for the natural gas combustion turbine facility that is scheduled for operation in 2015.
The center will be called the Charles D. Lamb Energy Center.
“It is a huge honor,” Lamb said. “This is a unique project. It is the first one that (the municipal authority) is 100 percent the owner and operator.”
In the past, the municipal authority has been a partner in such projects.
Lamb was instrumental in the innovation and development of the authority's competitive utility program that started in 1995.
The voluntary program provides municipal authority members a way to evaluate and improve their electric utility operations, which allows them to better compete in the electric utility industry.
Lamb was appointed Edmond mayor last year after serving on the city council 15 years.
Lamb said when he was assigned to represent Edmond on the municipal authority board he wasn't familiar with the state governmental agency that was created to serve cities and towns that own and operate their electrical distribution systems and is governed by the members.
The authority serves 39 municipal-owned electric systems in Oklahoma.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law