Get App-y: Listen to all the audio books you want
For a monthly fee, Audiobooks.com provides you with audio books across all your mobile devices.
Several years ago, when I had a one-way commute to work of 60 miles, I would have loved a service that offered me the chance to download audio books to my smart phone to listen to on my drive.
Such mobile devices didn't exist during my first such commute 15 years ago, and five years ago, during my second commute to the same city for a different job, the iTunes store existed for music alone and not for mobile applications.
Then, I occasionally listened to a book on CD — or even a cassette tape — in my car, but they were expensive to buy and lacking in good enough selections to rent.
Commuters today have better options, including an audio book service called Audiobooks.com that some have compared to the movie service Netflix: Users pay a monthly fee in order to have access to thousands of movies available for streaming.
For $29.95, users of Audiobooks.com get access to more than 15,000 books, including best sellers, on their computers and on their Android or Apple mobile devices.
They can stream the books via WiFi to their devices or download up to two at a time using the apps. That way, they can listen to them on the go. If they switch between a smart phone and a computer, their place will be bookmarked where they left off listening and the narrator will start there when they sign on again.
The new apps were released on the Google Play Store in August and earlier in the summer on the iTunes store.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M