Ghana throws Muntari, Boateng off World Cup squad

Published on NewsOK Modified: June 26, 2014 at 2:27 pm •  Published: June 26, 2014
Advertisement
;

BRASILIA, Brazil (AP) — Ghana threw Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng out of its World Cup squad for disciplinary reasons on Thursday, plunging the team into further chaos just hours it was eliminated from the tournament in a 2-1 loss to Portugal.

Just a day after resolving a possible player mutiny over World Cup bonus payments, the Ghana Football Association released two separate statements saying two of the country's stars had been "suspended ... indefinitely from the Black Stars with immediate effect."

Muntari was suspended "in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an executive committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr. Moses Armah" on Tuesday, one statement read.

The other statement said Boateng was dropped from the squad because of "vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah" during a training session this week.

"Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision," the statement added.

Appiah played down the impact of the two absentees in Thursday's loss to Portugal.

"At this level, you look at the team, not one player, you always have to look at it like that," Appiah said. "The incidents happened some few days ago ... I don't think it had an impact on the game."

Boateng, who plays for German club Schalke, told German newspaper Sport Bild that he accepted his suspension and wished his teammates well for Thursday's game against Portugal — "but no one should think that I insulted the coach or did anything wrong."

Boateng said he and Muntari had been joking with each other during training Wednesday. The coach asked why they were laughing, and then sent Boateng to the dressing room, he added.

Continue reading this story on the...