Share “Giants done in by rain and Cubs in...”

Giants done in by rain and Cubs in shortened loss

Published on NewsOK Modified: August 20, 2014 at 3:15 am •  Published: August 20, 2014

CHICAGO (AP) — Bruce Bochy probably had a lot more he wanted to say after a 4½-hour wait to resume a game Tuesday night — and Wednesday morning — proved futile.

But the San Francisco Giants manager mostly held his tongue after the Wrigley Field infield was deemed unplayable and the Chicago Cubs were awarded a 2-0 victory in a game shortened to five innings.

"Look, I'm frustrated and beside myself," Bochy said. "I'm probably not in the right frame of mind.

"It was a long, frustrating night. I hope they look at it and I hope they listen. I don't know what other recourse we can take. It's a tough time for everyone."

Bochy declined to say, but a team official, asking not to be quoted directly, said the Giants likely will protest the result because they were promised everything would be done to get the game in.

Anthony Rizzo slammed a two-run homer, Tsuyoshi Wada (3-1) pitched five strong innings to lead the Cubs. The Giants lost for the seventh time in 10 games and fell 4 1/2 games behind Los Angeles in the NL West race.

After a brief but heavy downpour, the game was delayed 4 hours, 34 minutes before it was called off at 1:16 a.m. Fewer than 1,000 fans remained.

When the rain and the wind intensified in the middle of the fifth inning, home plate umpire Hunter Wendelstedt stopped play. The grounds crew couldn't get the manual tarp fully in place, leaving large portions of the infield exposed to rain for more than 10 minutes.

When the rain stopped — 14 minutes after the game was delayed — large sections of the infield were soaked.

It took nearly 1 1-2 hours for workers to remove water from the infield and spread dozens of bags of compound on the dirt area.

Wendelstedt, Bochy and Cubs manager Rick Renteria toured the infield, but after additional repairs followed by another lengthy delay with little or no activity, play was halted for the final time.

"We tried to wait as long as we could," Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said. "Because the Giants were in a pennant race, we felt an obligation to do that. I talked with the umpires a lot and (team president) Theo Epstein talked with MLB to come up with a way to play this game the way it should be played.

Continue reading this story on the...