Giants, Scutaro agree to $20 million, 3-year deal

Published on NewsOK Modified: December 5, 2012 at 12:00 am •  Published: December 4, 2012
Advertisement
;

Giants CEO Larry Baer considered it a productive winter meetings — and offseason so far — for his busy club after already re-signing Affeldt last month. Winning the World Series for the second time in three seasons put San Francisco behind on its offseason plan again, though everyone in the front office would say that's a great problem to have.

"Culture is important, and Marco is a wonderful influence with our players, especially the Latin players," Baer said.

The 31-year-old Pagan batted .288 with eight home runs, 56 RBIs and a San Francisco-best 15 triples in his first season with the Giants. Pagan said late in the season and again after the World Series parade that he hoped to return, but wanted to test free agency and sought some job security in the form of a multiyear deal.

On Friday, Sabean said the club had made backup plans to move forward without Pagan or Scutaro in case neither decided to re-sign — but progress with Pagan apparently happened during the weekend after Sabean said, "We don't have a deal, so that tells you we're not close."

San Francisco declined Friday to tender a contract to closer Brian Wilson, the 2010 major league saves leader with 48. The right-hander is working his way back from a second Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Conservative feminists find their voice
  2. 2
    White, Asian men rule the roost at Twitter
  3. 3
    Real estate heir accused of urinating on CVS candy
  4. 4
    Federal Judge Strikes Down Colorado Same-Sex Marriage Ban
  5. 5
    Arizona Attorney General's Office Pushes Back, Says Inmate 'DID NOT Gasp For Air' During Execution
+ show more