Giants sign Mathias Kiwanuka to contract extension
The 29-year-old Kiwanuka appeared in all 20 games last season, playing strongside linebacker on first and second downs and as a lineman in passing situations. The seven-year veteran finished fourth on the team with 84 tackles, 3½ sacks, 13 tackles for losses, nine quarterback hits, an interception, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.
Kiwanuka missed most of the 2010 season with a neck injury and did not get a big deal when re-signed a two-year deal with the team in the offseason. His play convinced the team he was worth a long-term contract.
Kiwanuka was the Giants' first-round draft choice in 2006. He was originally drafted as a defensive end but was switched to linebacker in 2007, a season in which he broke his leg. He played end in 2008 and 2009 and returned to linebacker in 2010.
The former Boston College star has played in 76 regular-season games with 56 starts. He has 339 tackles, 17 sacks, three interceptions, nine forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M