Giggs will play 1,000th professional match Tuesday
MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Ryan Giggs will wait until Tuesday's Champions League match against Real Madrid to make his 1,000th senior competitive appearance.
He'll sit out Manchester United's Premier League game against Norwich on Saturday.
United manager Alex Ferguson said Friday that Giggs would play one of the matches — and has decided to make sure the 39-year-old midfielder is fresh for the last-16 second leg at Old Trafford next week. The match is 1-1 after the first leg in Madrid.
Since making his professional debut in 1991, Giggs has played 931 matches for United — scoring 168 goals, including five this season. He played 64 times for Wales and made four appearances for Britain at the London Olympics.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 46110Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14982Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9556Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8109Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7765Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7102Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7082Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena