Gillaspie HRs as White Sox beat Rangers 8-4
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Conor Gillaspie is getting off to a quick spring training start with the Chicago White Sox.
The newly acquired Gillaspie homered off Collin Balester in the sixth inning, helping the White Sox beat Texas 8-4 Wednesday and drop the Rangers to 0-5 in spring training.
Obtained Friday from San Francisco for minor league pitcher Jeff Soptic, Gillaspie had four RBIs Tuesday against the Rangers.
"He's not waiting around," said White Sox manager Robin Ventura, a former left-handed-hitting third baseman who likes how Gillaspie sprays the ball to all fields. "He's an aggressive kid, and a tough-minded kid, too."
The 25-year-old Gillaspie spent parts of three seasons with the Giants, hitting .205 with a home run and four RBIs in 29 games and 44 at-bats. San Francisco selected Gillaspie with the 37th overall pick in the 2008 amateur draft from Wichita State. He made his major league debut that Sept. 9.
"I'm just thankful for the opportunity," he said.
Texas manager Ron Washington isn't worried about his team's poor spring training record.
'If we're (winless) after March 31 I'd be having heart attacks or something," he said. "We're putting guys out there. Some are throwing good innings, some aren't. I'm not looking back at no 0-5 start in spring training, that's for certain."
Paul Konerko hit a two-run homer against left-hander Robbie Ross, and 24-year-old right-hander Simon Castro allowed one hit in three scoreless innings for the win. Chicago (3-0-2) is unbeaten through its first five exhibition games for the first time since moving spring training from Florida to Arizona for 1998.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort