Girl, 9, hit by vehicle Friday morning
Police arrested Vernon Powers, a family friend of the girl, on a DUI complaint. Powers, 46, was driving the girl to school when he had a traffic accident near NE 10 and Grand Boulevard and told the girl to get out and walk to school.
Police arrested a man on a DUI complaint after the girl he was taking to school was hit by another vehicle.
Vernon Powers, 46, is a family friend of the girl and was taking her to school Friday morning when he got into a traffic accident near NE 10 and Grand Boulevard, police reported.
Powers told the girl to get out of the vehicle and walk to the school, Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow said.
The girl ran out into traffic to cross NE 10 and was struck by a vehicle driving west, Wardlow said.
The girl was taken to a hospital by her family with very minor injuries, Wardlow said.
Police investigating the accident determined Powers was drunk and arrested him.
The driver of the vehicle that hit the girl was not cited for any crime, Wardlow said.
The girl is a third-grader at Edwards Elementary, Oklahoma City Public School District spokeswoman Tierney Tinnin said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 75968Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30909Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28067Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24729Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6906Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 6904Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6686Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond