H: ° L: °,
Girl found dead in Stephens County is identified; arrest is made
Authorities are investigating the discovery of a girl's body found on oil lease property in Stephens County, outside the Velma city limits.
VELMA — A 16-year-old girl who went to buy a soda pop at a convenience store Wednesday night was found dead later in a pasture east of Velma.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
A Stephens County Sheriff's Department canine unit found the body of Braylee Rae Henry. The body had signs of trauma.
Myles Sterling Bench, 21, was arrested on a murder complaint after he was found driving Henry's car. Deputies tracked the car using its GPS system.
Bench is a clerk at the Tee Pee Totem convenience store, where investigators found blood on the floor Wednesday night.
Stephens County District Attorney Jason Hicks said he plans to file charges Monday when the investigation is completed.
The victim's mother said she doesn't know who Bench is or why he would hurt her daughter.
“She's just an athlete and a good girl. She just went to get a Coke,” Renee Henson said.
“I was just angry and mad that someone would take my baby. She was so innocent and wouldn't hurt a fly.”
Henry would have been a junior at Velma-Alma High School in the fall and was very involved at school, Henson said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates