Girl in Maldives faces flogging for premarital sex
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) — Maldives authorities have called on the country's Islamic ministry and judiciary to stop the public flogging of a teenaged girl for having sex outside marriage, a government official said Friday.
A court in the tiny island of Feydhoo last week sentenced the 15-year-old to 100 lashes after she admitted to having consensual sex, a court official said on condition of anonymity because he had no formal approval to speak to the media.
The official said details of the consensual sex emerged when police investigated her complaint against her stepfather and another man of sexually abusing her.
He said the sentence includes an option for the flogging to be carried out when the girl turns 18.
Her partner has not been identified and it was not clear how hard the police tried to identify him, he said.
Government spokesman Masood Imad said the government considered her a victim of sexual abuse and wants the sentence revoked.
He said President Mohammed Waheed Hassan has started talks with the Islamic ministry, judiciary, attorney general, human rights commission and gender ministry in order to stop "victims becoming victims of the law."
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit