'Godzilla' bus is back on Edmond streets
Edmond's newest and largest bus has been repaired after being damaged in a traffic accident just six months after it was purchased. The 40-passenger bus went back into operation Friday.
EDMOND — Edmond's newest and largest bus, nicknamed Godzilla by city officials, was back on the streets Friday. The bus was involved in an accident in August, just six months after it was purchased.
The return of the 40-passenger bus, used on the Expresslink line between Edmond and Oklahoma City, will give Edmond's Citylink bus service a spare bus in its fleet, said John Plevich, Edmond's new McDonald Transit general manager.
McDonald Transit is the company hired to operate the Edmond bus system.
Last month, Expresslink provided 6,642 rides back and forth to Oklahoma City. The entire Citylink system provided 26,673 rides.
Raul Martinez, an Edmond Public Transportation Committee member, called October a banner month. Martinez represents the University of Central Oklahoma on the committee.
He noted that the number of people riding the bus and bringing along their bicycles jumped from 412 to 428.
“On campus there is a direct impact,” Martinez said at the committee meeting this week. “The enrollment continues to go up, and we are selling less parking decals.”
City Councilwoman Victoria Caldwell said, “The buses are providing less stress on the parking lots, less pollution and less stress for the students.”
The city plans to change the bus route that goes near First Street and Littler Avenue where the city administration building will be demolished and the new public safety center will be built. The change will be in effect during the construction period.
New schedules and maps are being printed. An exact date of the change has not been determined.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 79875Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16375OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12357Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12103Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10249Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9002How to help tornado victims