Gold Dome auction in Oklahoma City attracts lone bidder
David Box, owner of The Greens Country Club in Oklahoma City, submitted the sole bid at a public foreclosure auction today for the troubled landmark Gold Dome.
David Box, owner of The Greens Country Club, submitted the sole bid at a public foreclosure auction Thursday for the troubled landmark Gold Dome building.
The owner, Dr. Irene Lam, was not present as bids were accepted at 10 a.m. in the offices of Blaney and Tweedy, the law firm representing the lender, Bank 7. Attorney Kevin Blaney started the bid at $771,734.84 — the amount owed to Bank 7 — and it was followed by a bid from Box of $800,000.
Box, who has experience buying and developing properties on Campus Corner in Norman and in Bricktown and Automobile Alley, said he has yet to come up with a plan for the Gold Dome. He offered earnest money of $50,000 and tentatively agreed to close on Sept. 24.
“I think it's a cool building,” Box said. “It's great for Oklahoma City. We want to try to make it work. I wish I could tell you I have a grand plan, but I don't.”
Box said he does not intend to tear down the building.
Those watching the auction included developer Dick Tanenbaum, who owns the neighboring Classen condominium tower, and two Gold Dome tenants — Julio Passarelli, owner of the bar Zona Viva, and Vickie Lykins, owner of Americare One Source.
Both Passarelli and Lykins said they signed leases in the past few months, unaware that Lam was facing foreclosure. Both stopped their plans to move in when they learned Lam was about to lose control of the property.
In the meantime, Lykins said, her space has been without heating or air conditioning, and she has a leak in a storage closet.
Such complaints did not surprise Richard Suave, whose Prohibition Room restaurant closed last year after a bitter dispute with Lam over building operations. Suave complained that customers' access to his restaurant was hampered by frequent parties, concerts and events Lam booked in the lobby outside his entrance.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 46110Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14982Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9556Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8109Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7765Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7102Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7082Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena