Gold medalists didn't succeed on their own
I'm amazed that we give gold medals to Olympic athletes. Nobody got to be an Olympic athlete on his own. Nobody. You run fast out there? Good for you, but I want to be clear: You moved your body on the track the rest of us paid for; you hired coaches the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your training facility because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't get there on your own!
NewsOK Related Articles
I'm struck by people who think they succeeded because they're so talented. Well a lot of people out there are talented! Or people who say, “I worked harder than everybody else.” Well a whole bunch of hardworking people are out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great coach somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have which has allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in gymnasiums and tracks.
If you've got an athletic ability, you didn't develop that. Somebody else made that happen. Athletic events didn't get invented on their own. Government created the first Olympics.
It's not right that Michael Phelps has so many medals and other athletes have so few. The medal gap is fundamentally unfair. Share the wealth!
By the way, I'm just agreeing with Elizabeth Warren and Barack Obama.
Robert Johnson, Edmond
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law