GOP Convention Notes: Ryan wedding and Big 12 football don't mix
Paul Ryan's brother tells of Sooner fans roaring during wedding reception; bus debacle keeps some Oklahoma delegates out until 3 a.m.
TAMPA, Fla. — Tobin Ryan got the teams wrong, but the younger brother of vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan told a good Oklahoma football story anyway Wednesday, as it related to the Oklahoma City wedding of Paul and Janna Ryan.
Tobin Ryan spoke Wednesday morning to Oklahoma delegates here for the Republican National Convention about the Ryan family, which is from Wisconsin, getting to know Oklahoma after Paul Ryan married Janna Little, who is from the southern Oklahoma town of Madill.
He said the couple's December 2000 wedding date coincided with the Big 12 Championship; he also said it was the Sooners against the Cowboys, which, as many Oklahomans know, wasn't correct, or even possible. It was the Sooners against Kansas State. But, then, Tobin Ryan is a Notre Dame graduate.
At the reception, which was held at the Petroleum Club in downtown Oklahoma City, there was “the normal reception in the wedding hall and then you've got a room that's almost equally as big next to it with a big-screen TV, and you've got toasts going on here and you had to just drag people to come out from the TV (room)” from which loud roars would periodically erupt, Ryan told the delegates.
By now, many have heard that Paul Ryan is an avid outdoorsman and hunts and “noodles” — that is, catches fish with his hands — frequently in Oklahoma and that he has named his dogs Boomer and Sooner.
Tobin Ryan said his brother, who has a loud, piercing voice, has been known to run through his Janesville, Wis., neighborhood chasing his dogs and yelling “Boomer! Sooner!”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15993Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12289Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11194OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9941Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9689Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8745Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8728Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated