Grand Lake not necessarily an advantage for Oklahomans at Bassmaster Classic
Only one angler has won the Classic in his home state.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
When: Feb. 22-24.
Where: Grand Lake.
Launch: 7 a.m. daily from Wolf Creek.
Weigh In: At BOK Center in Tulsa. Doors open at 3 p.m. daily.
Prize: $500,000 to the winner.
“Say things aren't working out,” said Christie, who is making his debut in the Bassmaster Classic. “You have a hundred places you know you can go. By the end of the day, you've spent most of the day driving place to place and not fishing,” he said.
Evers also said that knowing a lake well could become a disadvantage if an angler just relies on old honey holes.
“I have to make sure I'm fishing the fish, not memories of where the fish were,” he said.
Grand Lake won't be completely unfamiliar to the field of 53 Bassmaster Classic contenders. The northeastern Oklahoma fishery has twice been the site of two Bassmaster Elite Series professional tournaments.
In 2006, Mike McClelland, who lives in nearby Bella Vista, Ark., dominated the field in winning the Sooner Run tournament and admitted at the time having a home lake advantage.
Living only an hour and 10 minutes a way, McClelland had spent a lot of time over the years learning the lake and had numerous spots to fish.
In 2007, however, the Sooner Run on Grand Lake was won by now four-time Bassmaster Classic champion Kevin VanDam of Kalamazoo, Mich., who overtook Ardmore's Jeff Kriet on the final day of the tournament.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law