Gremio advances to Copa Sudamericana quarterfinals
PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil (AP) — Midfielder Ze Roberto converted an injury-time free kick as Gremio beat Barcelona of Ecuador 2-1 on Wednesday to advance to Copa Sudamericana quarterfinals.
Gremio finished with a 3-1 aggregate score after the Brazilian club beat Barcelona 1-0 in the first leg at Ecuador.
Ze Roberto struck a perfect shot into the top corner of goalkeeper Maximo Banguera's net to secure Gremio a spot in the next round of the South American competition.
Arrinton Narciso Mina opened the scoring for Barcelona at the Olimpico Stadium with a shot from inside the area in the 55th minute, but Gremio equalized with an own goal by Barcelona defender Jose Luis Perlaza, who sent the ball into the net while trying attempting to clear a cross in the area.
Gremio next plays Colombia's Millonarios.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena